Saturday, July 9, 2016

Quilting with Selvages

I started saving my selvages just a few months ago after I noticed more and more projects being made by other people using their selvages.


If you aren't sure what the selvage is, it's the edge of your quilting fabric. There are two selvages on each fabric, one of which has the fabric information (designer, colours used, fabric # and manufacturer) printed along it.



These strips can be quite colourful and have one edge which is finished, so lots of quilters have started using these strips to make all sorts of projects.

Since I had a little stash accumulated, when I was offered the opportunity to review a copy of "Modern Selvage Quilting" by Riel Nason, I jumped at it!!


This book has lots of projects to try and has very clear, easy to follow instructions!! Since I didn't have a lot of selvages collected, I decided to make the "Selvage Latticework Accent Pillow" on page 51. It was a fast and easy project that turned out just great!!



Now that I've read the book, I'm going to trim my selvages a little wider than I have been and I'm going to make sure that I save them ALL. I think this would be a fun class to teach at my local quilt shop too, so I'm going to ask them to order in the book!! 

If you are looking for something fun and a little different, why don't you try quilting with selvages??

No comments: