Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Making a table runner from left over layer cake pieces

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #25 - "It's Been A Slice" leftovers

The layer cake that I had used for my "It's Been a Slice" quilt pattern had 42 - 10" squares BUT my pattern only uses 40. As a result I had the equivalent of two 10" squares (and some pieces of sashing and outer border) left over. Since they all coordinated I didn't want to throw them out.

Left over pieces from my "It's Been a Slice" quilt
I decided to sew the triangles together along the LONG sides and then used my Quilt In A Day Square up Ruler  to make half  square triangle blocks. I'm not big on specialized rulers but I LOVE using this one to make half-square triangle blocks. You can use odd sized pieces of fabric, sew them together with a straight line and then use this ruler to cut them into an accurate block. 

The ruler in action

My half square triangle blocks

I sewed the little blocks together to make two larger blocks, then added sashing and a 3" outside border. This ended up being the perfect size for a table runner.


I used a meander stitch to machine quilt the blocks, a back and forth design on the inner border and then a swirl design for the outside border. A little navy blue binding finished it right off!!

This little table runner turned out so cute and was really easy to make! Now maybe you too can try making a table runner from left over layer cake pieces or ANY little leftover pieces of fabric that you have from another project. Get one of the Quilt In A Day Square up Rulers and you'll be making half square triangle blocks from ALL of your leftovers!!  


The finished table runner

No comments: