Friday, April 29, 2016

Machine Quilting Leaves and Swirls

52 Week UFO Challenge Project #22 - Disappearing Nine Patch quilt

Have you ever made a quilt that you just didn't like?? Even though I had purchased two charm packs of fabrics that I just loved, once I put them together into a quilt I just couldn't get motivated enough to finish it.

I finally decided that the reason that I never finished the quilt was that I really didn't like it. BUT after looking at it critically one day I realized that it was only the OUTER BORDER that I didn't like.

When I had finished the top at our quilt retreat, I had a brown fabric on hand that I used for the border, but I'm not really a "brown" person. I probably have no more than six brown fabrics in my entire stash and I'm really not drawn to them. 

Once I decided that the outer border had to go, I found a blue one that I liked and got to sewing. The resulting quilt top was SO much better!!!

Disappearing nine patch quilt with the new blue border

I loaded the quilt on my Gammill and decided to use a leaf and swirl design to quilt both the border and the centre of the quilt.



Leaf and swirl design

Here is the finished quilt - not bad for a quilt that I had never wanted to finish!! Machine quilting leaves and swirls is one of my favourite motifs to use on a variety of quilts. I'm so glad that I persevered and finished this quilt! UFO #22 is done!!




No comments: