Friday, February 12, 2016

52 Week UFO Challenge Project #8 - Embroidered Wool Bag with Zipper

Another unfinished embroidery piece...

This little embroidery piece is another one that I did while Mike and I were on our train trip to Halifax. I've always loved this piece, but never knew how to finish it off. I saw a few zippered wool bags on Pinterest, so I decided to try to use this piece to make a zippered bag.


 First I trimmed all of the edges of the gold wool background with my pinking rotary cutter.



The gold background wool was not big enough to use on it's own and I had no more wool that same colour, so I decided to mount it onto a larger piece of cream felted wool and I cut a second rectangle in the cream wool to use for the back of the bag.

Cutting the cream coloured wool
I used my 505 Spray to stick the gold wool to the cream wool and then used a running stitch to sew it down all the way around. Next I cut two pieces of a lining fabric the same size at the two cream coloured wool rectangles.
Cutting the lining fabric.
First I sewed the lining fabric to the back side of the zipper.

Sewing the lining to the back of the zipper
Then I sewed the two lining fabrics right side together along the remaining three sides with a 1/2" seam. Then I hand stitched the front of the bag to the zipper using a running stitch along it's length. 

Pinning the front of the bag to the zipper.
I sewed the back of the bag onto the zipper in the same manner, and then used a blanket stitch along the three remaining sides to sew the front and the back of the bag together. A couple re-inforcing stitches at each end secured the two ends of the zipper.




Here is a view of the inside of the bag.


Project #8 is all done. What a cute little bag to carry jewellery or maybe threads for another project!


No comments: