Monday, February 28, 2011

Carson's Turtle Quilt

One Saturday morning, I was in my studio loading a quilt onto my frame. Carson came in, was looking around and asked if I had a quilt that had turtles on it. I told him "No" and of course, the next natural question (from Carson) was "Can we make one today?". So I abandoned the quilt for the morning and we got busy! I showed him how to draw his design onto paper, then transfer it onto fusible web. He picked out the fabrics, then I ironed all the pieces for him. I cut and sewed on the borders for him, then he got to work cutting and organizing all of his "turtle parts". He used the AccuCut machine to make some flowers for the background.
I showed him how to use a Teflon sheet to assemble his turtles - then we were ready to adhere them to the quilt. We used fusible batting and some invisible thread to quilt/applique down the turtles - Carson did most of the quilting.
Then he finished quilting the background with some nice bright variegated thread and I sewed on the binding. Here is his finished quilt - as you can tell, he is quite proud of himself!!

No comments: