Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rug Punching

I love the look of hooked rugs, but honestly I don't have the patience to do them. I consider myself a very patient person, but when it took me 2 years to finish on 20" x 20" hooked rug kit that I bought at Market, I knew that it just wasn't for me.
I do however love punchneedle so you can imagine how exited I was when I first saw rugs made using "rug punching". This technique uses the exact same stitch as punchneedle but on a bigger scale. You use heavy weight yarn and a large punching tool and within HOURS can have a small punched rug. Here is my first rug punched piece - a kit that I bought from Attic Heirlooms http://www.webpagesbyme3.com/atticheirlooms/index.html . This small piece is 12" x 15" and took only a coupe hours to finish.
Carson is currently working on a cat rug - here is his work in progress along with the Oxford Punch Needle that I bought along with the kit.

No comments: